Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gallery Update

I didn't get a chance to post anything about the shows that I saw last week. Before the snow came, I went for a quick walk in Chelsea and was able to pop into a few galleries. As always, there was so much more that I would have liked to have seen. Gallery hopping with a 5 month old baby tends to make for shorter viewing days. Here are a few of my favorite shows from last week.

The first gallery that I went to was Paul Kasmin. I was lucky enough to drop in right before the Santi Moix show came down.  I was at first drawn into the gallery because I am really interested in smaller framed pieces lately. The exhibition is called May the Earth Rest Lightly on You and is a selection of new watercolor paintings that feel like a visual diary. They are quite stunning as a group. The subjects of the paintings range from intimate domestic scenes, to food, to street scenes and portraits and landscapes. I love the color palette that you see as you walk into the gallery.  Here are a few quick snapshots of the show. 





 Next we stopped in at the Sundaram Tagore Gallery to see sculptures by Jane McAdam Freud. The artist is the great granddaughter of the late Sigmund Freud. The relation is evident in some of the larger figurative pieces. I really liked necktie piece and the large faces. Here are a few images from the show.


I would definitely recommend going to the new show at Aperture. reGeneration is a group show of eighty young photographers from photo schools around the world. I was really impressed by some of the work. There were some pieces that I felt were overly reliant on the digital aspect of the medium. As a retoucher, I am very involved with digital photography, but think that in some parts of this show it was a bit flashy and over used. Beyond showing off knowledge of the tools, some of the work lacked depth and left me feeling uninterested. That being said, there were some photographs from the show that I really loved.


Here are the pieces from the Aperture show that I loved.

Florian Joye
Robin Friend


Di Liu
Ya'ara Oren
That's all for now. In my next posting, I will put up some new scans that I made yesterday. I'm really excited about some of them.

Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment