Thursday, January 13, 2011

Back from New Zealand

Hello to all from snowy Brooklyn!
 

I thought that I would start the new year with a picture of my magnet boards in my studio. I realized when I was putting these photos up last night that I never show people the images from wide edits. There are always images that I am excited about when I get back from the lab, but they don't make it into the final edits of my projects and so no one ever sees them. On this blog, I will periodically put up pictures of these editing walls. At the Robert Frank show at the Met last year, there were large prints of his contact sheets. I think its so interesting to see what was left out. It feels voyeuristic in a small way, like you get to peek into someone's studio when they're not looking. I'll be posting pictures of the magnet boards in my studio whenever I have new work.

Just got all of the film from our trip to New Zealand back from the lab. I'm still working through a wide edit, but I'm really excited about some these pictures. I spent a short afternoon in the Auckland Zoo. I always try to visit the zoos and the natural history museums whenever I visit a new city. I was also able to get a few new images for the aerial project that I am working on. These are on the lower left side of the magnet boards. I started this project last year when I was pregnant, and I've started to add more to it in the last few months. I am making pictures that feel aerial but are taken from waist level in most cases. This project is moving slowly, but I'm really excited about it.

Some of the other landscapes are for a larger project about seasons that i've been working on for the last year. The project is loosely based on Cy Twombly's Four Seasons paintings. I'll post more of these soon.


new work from New Zealand