Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday Finds


Hello again! I'm so happy that you came back, I was hoping that you would. For our second week of Friday Finds, I would like to take a trip across the Pacific and introduce you to one of my all time favorite photographers, Rinko Kawauchi. I have a confession to make. I didn't find these pictures this week. I did look at them for the 500th time though. Does that count? OK great. I knew you wouldn't be a stickler for details.


So, here she is. I'm not sure where to begin with this one. Rinko Kawauchi is just spectacular. That's all there is to it. There is a softness and a sadness to many of her photographs that makes you feel like you are being let in on something special when you look at them. I love her color pallete. I love the things that she takes pictures of. I love all four corners of her photographs. I think that she uses the square format suberbly. The photographs from her newest book, Illuminance, are on view starting tomorrow at the Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography. Here is the link to the museum's homepage. You can purchase the book from Aperture, or just have a sneak peak by clicking here. Illuminance is a collection of 15 years of work, and it is an inspiration to look at.


Here are some of my favorites.
Untitled, from the series Aila
Untitled, from the series Aila

Untitled, from the series Illuminace
via rinkokawauchi.com
Untitled, from the series Illuminace
via rinkokawauchi.com

“It’s not enough that [the photograph] is beautiful,” says Kawauchi. “If it doesn’t move my heart, it won’t move anyone else’s heart.”

Earlier this week, I came across these incredible photographs. (My mother thinks that you should only use the words incredible and awesome if something is actually incredible or awesome as indicated by the definition. Incredible- adj- so extraordinary as to seem impossible. Awesome- adj- showing or categorized by awe.) Mama, I think these pictures are incredible and pretty awesome. Seriously. 

Time Magazine has a collection of photos on their Light Box website called Seven Days of Strange Landscapes. 


Here are a few.

March 2, 2012. The water of the Grone stream has turned 
green after a fire in Goettingen, Germany.
via lightbox.time.com/
March 4, 2012. The Perito Moreno glacier is seen after
 the rupture of a massive ice wall near the city of El Calafate
 in the Patagonian province of Santa Cruz, Argentina.
via lightbox.time.com
March 6, 2012. Thousands of spiders build new webs after 
floodwaters forced them to move to higher grounds in 
Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia.
via lightbox.time.com






Have a great weekend! See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment